CALL FOR APPLICATIONS #3 / 2016-2017
DEADLINE TO APPLY > January, 15th, 2017 the latest
ARTISTIC RESEARCH GRANTS AWARDS CONTEMPORARY STAGE WRITING AND TRANSMEDIA
Launched by L-EST/European Performing Arts and Transmedia Lab in 2013, the call for artistic research grants has already enabled six European artistic teams to explore and create various transmedial performing art forms. Supporting artistic teams and allowing them to experiment and develop these forms is one of the foundations of the European Centre for artistic creation L-EST whose main activities are intensifying since last season, notably with a new event dedicated to the performing arts and transmedia creation: The #TransFiction Meeting. Last but not least, in the course of the project development each of the L-EST organisations can pledge to support a project in its own name (co-production; presentation/show).
The 2016-17 grants are intended for interdisciplinary artistic teams (actors, writers, choreographers, developers, researchers, etc.) working in theatre, dance, site-specific arts, music, digital arts and circus or various hybrid forms. The artistic research process will take the form of an experimentation phase or a writing and conceptualisation phase granted to three companies. This phase will take place between June and November 2017, at the end of which the artistic teams will have either produced an initial model/project, or have advanced in the production of a project that was already underway.
The purpose of this grant is to give artists an opportunity to explore, experiment and subvert the various possibilities offered by the contemporary stage through the prism of transmedia.
Various approaches can be developed (non-exhaustive list): stage/media combinations (web, interactive interfaces, parallel fictions, narrative world(s), social medias,…); temporal, narrative, formal/conceptual and/or media extensions; audience involvement (co-actor, co-creator, participant, etc.) and spillover into the public space; interpenetration of real and/or virtual and the stage, and so on.
Specifically, L-EST is interested in processes developing:
- Open and Interactive writing that involves audience participation, notably through its contribution to the deployment of the narrative, based on the understanding that transmedia seeks to create new fictional territories within the same sphere/global narration that people can appropriate, use and experiment with;
- A multi-platform dramaturgy, staging or performance operating a convergence between “traditional” stage writing (theatre, choreography, music/sound, audio-visual, book, journalism, etc.) and interactive writing (designer, interactive designer, film maker, designer of web architecture, social media expert, community moderator, etc.);
- Furthermore, L-EST will carefully and particularly considerate the applications developing a performing arts and transmedia project rooted in the territory of Belfort-Montbéliard.
DESCRIPTION OF THE GRANT
> An average of a €5,000 grant per artistic team will be awarded; this sum may be reviewed (downward or upward), project by project, based on the number of people involved and the length of requested research residency. This sum will cover travel, per-diems and salaries;
> Accommodation will be covered directly;
> A workspace (studio, black box or digital stage) will be made available at one of the three venues (per artistic team) for the duration of the experimentation period;
> The technical needs will be covered directly by L-EST (please be as specific as possible in the application form).
> You are a company, a collective or an artist;
> The research must take place in one of the three venues (in Montbéliard or in Belfort);
> VIADANSE – CCNBFCB (National Choreographic Centre) will necessarily host a choreographic or a performative project;
> The length of a residency must be for a minimum period of 7 days and a maximum period of 15 days (residencies cannot take place in several stages) and must be undertaken during the following periods:
- Between June, 8th – 30th, 2017 (Le Granit, at La Coopérative)
- Between June, 12th – 24th, 2017 (VIADANSE, at the rehearsal studio)
- Between September, 5th– 30th, 2017 (MA scène nationale, at the Digital Stage)
- Between September, 18th – October, 6th, 2017 (Le Granit, at La Coopérative)
- Between October, 22nd – 30th, 2017 (VIADANSE, at the Odile Duboc Space – Black box)
- Between October, 16th – November, 3rd, 2017 (Le Granit, at La Coopérative)
- Between November, 13th – December, 1st, 2017(Le Granit, at La Coopérative)
TERMS OF ELIGIBILITY
To apply for this grant, please follow the TWO-PARTS application procedure*:
1 >>> Fill out the online form in order to make the application process easier:
IMPORTANT : HEY PEOPLE ! PLEASE MAKE SURE TO COMPLETE THE ADDRESS SECTION, AT LEAST WITH THE COUNTRY ! WE NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU COME FROM, IN PARTICULAR WHEN YOU DO NOT PUT ANY COUNTRY CODE IN FRONT OF YOUR PHONE NUMBER ... MANY THANKS
2 >>> Download the project information form (pdf), then fill it out, join a presentation of your artistic research project including an overview of your past productions/projects. Send the completed pdf form and the project file by email only (pdf) on January, 15th, 2017(midnight) the latest, to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
*will be considered only the applications that followed this two-steps procedure : 1/ online form + 2/ e-mailing (project information form that you downloaded + research project/past productions file)
Following the submission deadline, each partner will make an initial shortlist, then the three partners will meet in a plenary session to reach agreement on the selection of three research projects. In the course of this procedure, companies may be asked to provide more information about their artistic research project in the form of an interview. The results will be made public not later than February, 10th, 2017.